Injured on Vacation in Florida
If you were injured in Florida, but live out of state, the lawyers at the Law Offices of Jason Turchin can help. Several of our lawyers are admitted to practice in all Florida State and Federal Courts, and can help with your Florida injury claim even if you live in another state. Hiring a lawyer in your home state for a Florida injury claim should be done with caution if that lawyer is not admitted to practice in Florida.
Our Florida injury lawyers are happy to discuss your injury claim with you. Call us at (800) 337-7755 for a free consultation today. We handle cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you don’t pay us anything out of pocket. We only get paid if you recover compensation for your injuries, or if a loved one was killed in Florida while on vacation or while otherwise visiting Florida.
The Visit Florida group reports that 116.5 million individuals visit Florida each year, which includes 102.3 million domestic visitors, 10.7 million overseas visitors, and 3.5 million Canadian visitors. While many of these tourists are able to safely visit the state of Florida, accidents are also known to sometimes occur. If you have been injured while visiting Florida, our Florida accident attorneys have represented thousands of accident victims throughout the United States and know what it takes to fight to get you obtain the compensation you deserveCommon Accidents Involving Florida Visitors
If you are traveling Florida, it is very possible that you will be visiting one of the state’s numerous famous sights, which might include Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, Silver Springs Park, Busch Gardens, Orlando, Key West, South Beach, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Daytona Beach, or Panama City. Some of the most common ways in which tourists are known to be injured include the following:
- Amusement park ride malfunctions. Families enjoy vacationing at Florida’s numerous amusement parks. It is important to understand, however, that the owners and operators of amusement parks must take adequate steps to make sure that attractions and rides are adequately maintained. Our Florida injury lawyers have represented many victims injured on amusement park and theme park rides.
- Hotel elevator accidents. Elevators have the potential to be particularly dangerous when hotels fail to keep them in safe conditions. Doors that fail to work properly, as well as other types of defective elevator conditions, can lead to serious injuries. Our Florida personal injury lawyers have represented several people injured when an elevator suddenly free-falls. These accidents can be terrifying, and can also cause serious injuries.
- Inadequate hotel security. Hotel operators are required to take adequate steps to make sure that guests are kept safe while on the premises. Failure to provide adequate security at hotels can lead to particularly deadly accidents. Florida negligent security claims may include claims against hotels for sexual assault, molestation, murder, injury during a robbery, and physical assault and battery.
- Slip and fall accidents. Property owners owe visitors the duty to keep floors and walkways free dangerous conditions and debris. Failure to safely maintain these areas can result in very serious tourist accidents. If you were injured in slip and fall at a theme park, restaurant, hotel or other commercial property, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
- Swimming pool accidents. If you are a tourist who is injured in a swimming pool accident, it is important to understand that the owner of the pool might be liable for failing to safely maintain the pool or for falling below safety standards. Some pools have rocks or broken bricks around which could cause fall injuries, or have an excessive build up of suntan lotion which makes the area unreasonably slippery.
- Cruise injury claims. Each year, thousands of people visit Florida to go on a cruise, like Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney Cruise Lines, NCL, or Celebrity Cruise Lines. Tourists injured on one of these cruises may have to file a claim in Florida for their injuries in order to get compensation. Our Florida cruise injury lawyers have represented many out of state residents injured on a cruise. You may also need a Florida cruise lawyer even if you were hurt on a cruise that departed from a different state, as many cruise passenger contracts require the claims to be brought in Florida.
- Car accident claims. If you were a tourist injured in a car accident while visiting Florida, you may need a Florida car accident lawyer to help with your case. The laws vary by state, and Florida has very specific and complex car accident laws. Our Florida car accident lawyers have represented many drivers and passengers injured in car accidents in Florida.
- Uber or Lyft accident claims. If you were a passenger in a ride-sharing service, like Uber or Lyft, and were injured in a car accident, our Florida car accident lawyers can help fight to get you the compensation you are entitled to under the law.
- Rental car shuttle bus claims. Rental car shuttle buses have been involved in several accidents over the years in or near Florida’s many airports. If you were injured while on a rental car shuttle bus, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
- Rental car accident. If you were in a car accident while driving or riding in a rental car that was not your fault, our car accident lawyers can help walk you through the claims process to get compensation for your injuries.
Some of the most common injuries that tourists are known to end up facing include the following:
- Brain injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Burn injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Spinal cord injuries
These injuries can result in large medical bills and a number of other financial complications, which is why it is often critical to pursue a legal action from the responsible party.Statute of Limitations and Where To File The Claim
If you were hurt in Florida, or if a family member was killed in an accident in Florida, the law sets limits on how, when and where you can file your personal injury claim.
The time limit, or statute of limitations, to file a lawsuit for a personal injury in Florida is generally limited to four years from the date of injury. The time may be extended if the injured person is a minor child. The lawsuit generally must be brought in Florida, even if you live in another state. That is one of the important reasons to hire a lawyer with experience in Florida personal injury matters. If you hire your local lawyer who cannot practice in Florida, he or she may cause unreasonable delay in your case which could cause you to lose the case.
If a family member was killed in Florida, you generally have only two years from the date of death to file a lawsuit. However, the lawsuit is typically brought by what is called a Personal Representative of the Estate of the person who died. The person who is eligible to be appointed is found under Florida Probate Law. If the person who died had a will, the person they designated as Personal Representative typically has priority to be the representative. Florida’s Wrongful Death Act requires the Personal Representative to bring the claim on behalf of all survivors under the Act. This is not the same as beneficiaries under a Will necessarily. An experienced Florida wrongful death lawyer at the Law Offices of Jason Turchin can help determine who is entitled to make a claim for compensation. If a person had no Will, often the surviving spouse, children, or parents may have priority to be the Personal Representative depending on who is living. Others may also qualify, or the beneficiaries or survivors may consent to someone qualified to act as Personal Representative.Speak With an Experienced Tourism-Related Accident Lawyer
Injured tourists often leave Florida after accidents occur without obtaining adequate compensation for their injuries. Many people do not understand their rights or ability to hold the parties responsible for these accidents accountable. Fortunately, an experienced Florida accident attorney can take the steps necessary to make sure that you have the strongest opportunity possible of obtaining the compensation you deserve. Even after you return home to heal, our law office will remain committed to fighting for the compensation you deserve. You may not even have to come back to Florida for your case if we are able to settle it without a lawsuit. Contact a Florida injury lawyer today at the Law Offices of Jason Turchin for a free case evaluation at (800) 337-7755.